Tuesday, August 19, 2014

#34 - CABVI 5K

#34 brings us back to the Spring Grove Cemetery.  We walked in a 5k to raise money for the Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

We walked this one, with no pretense of running because we were sweating out the wine from the night before. Susan, my neighbor, joined us.  Probably for the scintillating conversation and not for the promise of breakfast afterwards.



Being in a cemetery brings about many discussions of death and what we want to take place at our death.  Cremation. Full burial.  A second line.  All of these are options.

Personally, I would like a parade held in my honor.  A second line (New Orleans traditional) to stroll after the casket (complete with flambeaux)  Nobody should wear black to my funeral.  And there should be laughter.  The coffin carried in a horse drawn carriage to the actual cemetery.  My body will be encased in a glass coffin and I will try to get the undertaker to pose me in a certain way. Clawing at the top seems to be the most appropriate...with me holding a sign that says "let me out!"

No drama here.... pretty straightforward.  I think I'll make that appointment now with the funeral director because the look on his face would be priceless.

Anyway...back to the race...

The race took a different path through the grounds than the previous one.   Richard (from run #9) was there with a running partner as were several others who were visually impaired.  Each had a running partner and were clearly attempting to better their time.  

We had no such illusions.  We managed to discover some long-lost relatives of mine.



And Jo found some of her extended family...


Yes, we got a lot of strange looks as we posed for these, but #34 is done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment