Thursday, December 18, 2014

#50 Jingle Bell Run

As I write this....I am full.  Fuller than ever.  I may never eat again.  Mimosas.  Breakfast casserole.  Brie cheese.  Torte cake....

......But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The final run of this 16-month long challenge was the Jingle Bell Run in Northern Kentucky.  Raising money for arthritis research, it's the ultimate Christmas run experience.  I was joined by a host of friends (who were primarily interested in the delicious brunch afterwards) but who braved the weather anyway and walked with me during my final walk.







No, this isn't everybody, as it was clearly beyond our skill level to take one all-inclusive group shot.  I was joined by friends, neighbors and book club members, Healthy Girl and her contingent, co-workers from the TCS days (that would be The Container Store for those who are not up on my shorthand) and a friend from my college days who drove up from Louisville.  Even my offspring showed up.  (How cool is that?)




This walk had all the markings of a holiday walk.  Brisk weather, light-up reindeer antlers, Santa hats, and jingle bells.  Lots of jingle bells.  

The run begins on the Kentucky side of the river at the Convention Center.  It crosses over the bridge into Cincinnati, winds around Longworth Hall and back across the bridge finishing again at the Convention Center.  

In addition to the regular Christmas garb, I wore additional items from my many races to commemorate the Final 5K:

I had temporary tattoos from the Color Run (#33), Cheetah Run (#3) and Hyde Park Blast (#28).  Wonder Woman headband from Run Like Hell (#44) and Super Hero Run (#35).  Green Shoelaces for the OKC Memorial Run (#18).  Flying pig socks (#19).  Lanyard from the Gorilla Run (#16), photos of Mr. Smiles from Running for Home (#31), Lip balm from Maui (#41), T-shirts from FatAss 5K (#20) and Queen Bee (#43). Power is Teal bracelet from Ovarian Cancer Walk (#6).  Patriotic Bandana from Honoring our Vets (#32). Light-up pink ribbon for the Komen Breast Cancer walk (#4).  Stickers from the Amish Run in Adams County (#7). Jacket from the Hot Chocolate Run (#49).  Shoes from Fleet Feet Store (#1 & 2)


It was a fantastic experience.  I wasn't worried about making a better time or where my starting corral was. I talked my way across the bridge and back chatting with neighbors and catching up with folks I hadn't seen in eons.  We talked about our kids and jobs, houses and lives, plans for vacations, books and movies, possibilities and frustrations, gripes, limits and goals.  And my kids were waiting for me at the finish line.

And then we went to Otto's.  Mimosas.  And Brie cheese.  ...and something with figs and crackers.  Whatever.  And breakfast casserole, more mimosas and good conversation.  And laughter.  Toasts and more toasts. And laughter.  Lots and lots of laughter.  

A special shout-out to another friend from college, Liza Conces.  All the way from Wilmington, Delaware, she finished the race in 26:58 with a pace of just under nine minutes per mile.  She placed #97 out of 911 runners.  Nice job Liza!  


I am humbled by those who turned out for my final race of this challenge.  I am grateful to those who ran and walked virtually in many places across the US, because the distance was too much to conquer.  I am deeply touched by the kind words and encouragement throughout this past year.  I am rich indeed.


Fifty 5Ks before I am 50.

Done.



No comments:

Post a Comment