Thursday, December 4, 2014

#49 The Hot Chocolate Run

Chocolate. Hot chocolate and melted chocolate.  Oh, the things I would do for chocolate are endless.



I have dreamed about this race for a while now.  We headed to Columbus the night before and attended the expo.  It only heightened my desire to run for chocolate. The morning of the race dawned.  It was cold.  Not chilly, but downright cold.  15 degrees and raining.  A light mist.  Snow on the ground.  Okay, maybe there are some things I wouldn't do for chocolate.

I signed up for this race so long ago that I signed up as a walker.  I have been given the Corral assignment of "M".  As I trudge past the other Corrals, A-B-C-D-E-F-G are gathered at the Start line.  They are the honored ones as they get to go at 7:30 AM.  The next wave goes at 8:05.  That would be H-I-J-K-L.  Everyone else.  Except of course for the M Corral, which might as well be labeled "End of the Earth" as I have to walk a great distance to even find it.  "M" Corral goes after everybody else does, as walkers are deemed to be unimportant.  And if you don't keep pace, you will be asked to leave the race.



And don't even think about corral-jumping.  There are Corral police who are monitoring the crowd and those deemed "inappropriately placed" are asked to leave and return to their "home" corral.  Give somebody power and they abuse it.  So sad.


Anyway, we are finally released to go and I cross the Start at 8:34.   I am so cold.  I am wearing multiple layers but its not enough.  Once we are released, I try to run to catch the group ahead of us.  Eventually I catch up to the "L" group and pass them.  Next is "K".  If anything, I am trying to stay warm as clearly my blood has frozen inside my veins.

Part of the appeal of this race is in addition to water stops, there are Chocolate Stops throughout the course.    I cannot imagine anything better.  (Well, I can, but that is for another time.)  According to the map of the race route, at the first mile marker, there will be a Chocolate Stop.  As we approach, I can smell the chocolate.  However, there is no chocolate as we get closer.  It's all over the ground.  Mashed into the pavement.  And no volunteers to explain.  The table is empty. Okay.  Well, that sucks.

Moving on.  Jo and Rocky are both running the 15K version of this race.  They are in Corral J with the "real" competitors and are way ahead of me.  Maybe they got chocolate.  Hate them. Grumble.

The race continues through downtown Columbus, circling back to a park near the river.  The two additional chocolate stops are also empty.  A great disappointment. (A polite way of saying, WTF?)  After the race, finishers are funneled further into the park where we are given chocolate mugs filled with chocolate fondue, dippers and hot chocolate.  Nectar and Ambrosia.  At least they didn't run out of those.

I inhale everything.  After all the chocolate is gone, and I look around, it occurs to me that I have no idea where the hotel is.  I wasn't paying attention when we walked to the Start, and so many streets were closed off we had to change course often, and I have no clue which direction to take.  I have my phone but it won't work unless I take my gloves off. (Note to self: Buy those new-fangled gloves with the micro touch fingers.)

I start to wander towards the tall buildings as I faintly remember that the hotel is among them.  Damn.  It is cold.  The wind is blowing and it is cold. I am starting to feel like I will never be warm again.  I curse myself...running in the cold...even for chocolate...ends badly.

I find the hotel and take a hot shower.  Well, that was the plan, but the hotel has very little hot water left.  I get dressed putting on every piece of clothing I have brought.  I get under the covers and wait for them to finish the race.  

#49 is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment