Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#40 Color and Glow 5K Run

I have reached 80%.....

#40 was the Color & Glow Run held at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in lovely Dayton, OH.  This event is much like the Color Run (#33), but at night.  And the color (which is highlighted with the use of a blacklight) does NOT wash out of your clothes.

So let's review some basics. When you sign up for a run at night, it's going to be dark.  Let's say that again.  Hey, dummy, when you sign up for a night race, you will not be able to see because your night vision sucks.

Okay.  Got it.  The review is complete.

There are 5 stations throughout the race highlighted with black-lights (think 1970's posters) where volunteers spray the runners with liquid colorant.  It's sprayed from pump dispenser cans used to apply weed killer or DDT or used in a delousing event. Do we have a good visual ?  All of a sudden, I am not looking forward to this.






The entire course is marked by small orange plastic cones. As we arrive and check in, they are everywhere.  And nothing is lit up.  So as it gets darker, we are wondering "how do you see the course?"  And the answer is: You don't.  Oh, okay ...cool.


As we start the race, we meander back and forth, over and under, to and fro until I see the blacklights up ahead and searched for the volunteer sprayers......I didn't know what to expect until I got a blast of it in my face.  

Awesome.  And yes, that stuff got in my mouth.

Our route takes us in circles around the rutted horse track. Back and forth, up and down, zigzagging, on grass, on pavement, following the cones (the ones you can't see in the dark.)  Marauding hordes of people, wearing glow bands, and glow-in-the-dark paint.  The map below is NOT an exaggeration.



After stumbling and shuffling around the course for a bit, we cross the finish line into a gallery of blacklights.  Neither of us have our cameras, so we ask someone to take our picture and send to me.  On the way home we realize that it wasn't sent, so a quick stop at Walmart (at 10 PM, covered in glow paint) I purchase a blacklight. (With a wink to the cashier, "going to be a big night, yes sir!").




Things I learned at the Color and Glow run:

1.  I am blind.  Whether there are lights on or not.

2.  I am certain I have killed any bacteria living in my body as a results of accidentally swallowing some of the colorant.

3.  I shouldn't sign waivers for "fun" activities.  It's a red flag.

4.  The Color Runs are simply an excuse to throw paint on other people.  (I could do this at home for free.)

5.  I do not like running in the dark.




Yes, it washed off my skin,  just not the clothes

And the bonus is that I now own a blacklight.  Probably will use it with my gorilla costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment