Tuesday, September 9, 2014

#38 Mercy Metric 5K

We are closing in on the finish.  Just like Jane Fonda, we are starting to feel the burn.   #38 was the Mercy Metric 5K.  Held on Labor Day, it benefited the after school programs at Mercy Montessori School.

It was a small race...only 110 participants in the 5k.  The route was a simple out and back...starting and ending at the Lunken Airport Playfield.  During my last race, (with the princesses) I had shin splints.  That means every time I run, my shins hurt like nothing else.  When I stride forward, my legs are screaming "Bitch, don't do that.  You gonna regret that, uh-huh"

Rocky's translation of my predicament is "Lucy is a wimp."  So with that in mind, Rocky has generously offered to run with me, because clearly I am doing something horribly wrong.  (Oh, be still my heart.  A "real" runner is going to offer her expertise.  Oh, the rapture.)  My translation of this turn of events: "This will suck...a lot."  Before that race, I purchased compression sleeves for my shins to ease to pain.  (They didn't help, but more on that later.) 

Between the pain in my legs and Rocky's never ending commentary on my bad running form: 
        
         Why do you swing your arms?  You are wasting energy. 
        Why are you going so fast?   You don't have to go so fast. 
        We don't care about the other runners.  Why do you step like
         that?  Why do you land so hard on each step? You must act
         like a cat and step lightly.   Why do you breathe that way? 

Seriously?  You are going to start bitching about how I breathe?  Who are you ?  My kids?  It is astounding to me that I have managed to make it through the challenge thus far with out her interference assistance.

Then she ramps it up.....just a bit.

In addition to her incessant sniping over my running form, she begins to suggest any male within ten yards as a potential date.  Now, luckily there aren't that many males in the race, however, this added torture makes me think "I am in Hell."  I am cursing myself silently and I should have brought my iPod.

Towards the end of the race, it begins to rain.  It is so muggy out that this is a welcomed relief.  Not only does it relieve the heat, Rocky runs faster to get out of the rain.  I manage to finish the race with a decent time, but still in pain.  (Insert Rocky's deep concern here.)

Jo finished well before me and lo, and behold, won some bling.  She placed first in her division.  I have created a monster.   

Like I have said before, this challenge has offered me the opportunity to meet people that I would never have otherwise crossed paths.   However, since I just met them, I don't want to name them in this blog as they may not be familiar with my...how shall I put it? My sense of humor.  Yes, that's it.

Okay, that being said.  We went out to breakfast afterward with a new-found friend whom I will call "Stripper Girl." (Hey, no judgement.  All God's children.  It's okay.)   She shared with us the proofs from a recent photo shoot in which she explained the use of various ......accessories. It was a learning experience (and I am all about education) ..and accessories are so important to making a statement.  She was a blast.  And managed to keep up with our witty repartee.

#38 is done.  I am starting to think I may miss this when it's all over.....






No comments:

Post a Comment