Thursday, September 5, 2013

5K #3 - Cheetah Run

This 50 5Ks is a horrible idea and I should not have told anyone about it.  

I am thinking this as I climbed the steep hills around the Cincinnati Zoo this morning.  Then careening down the opposite side...praying I wouldn't fall down.

As with many things, the Cheetah Run sounded like a good idea in theory.  Walk around the zoo, see the animals, get another 5K under my belt.

In practice, it was a rude awakening.  We arrived at the zoo before the animals were awake. Jo, my intrepid walk companion, had no coffee.  Rocky was.....energetic.  She was going to run the 5K.  We were going to walk. 

I should have known that something was up when other race participants were discussing finish times and heading to the front of the pack.  Jo and I hung out in the back near the stroller crowd.

The gun went off and the crowd surged forward. It took about 20 minutes for us to meander the route through the zoo.  As we are exiting the zoo to circle around outside, the leaders of the pack are re-entering  at the same point.

Kinda demoralizing.   

Lots of steep hills and water stations later...we finished in 1 hour.  We were passed by numerous strollers.

Then had breakfast at the waffle place.  Yum.  So worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment