Tuesday, June 3, 2014

#22 River Run 2014

#22 was the River Run.  The course started in Newport, KY, crossed the bridge over the Licking River into Covington, circled around the gorgeous homes on Riverside Drive and then back to the Newport Aquarium, across the Ohio River on the Taylor-Southgate Bridge, (that's the blue one), across Pete Rose Way in Ohio and onto the Purple People Bridge and ending at Newport on the Levee.  An after party is at Arnie's on the Levee and as a participant in the run, I am entitled to a beer. Yes!

It was a fantastic morning, sunny but not too hot and a breeze was blowing.  The race benefited Kicks for Kids, a non-profit organization which helps kids by "leveling the playing field for kids at risk".  Doesn't matter what the challenge is, ...physical, mental, or the environment in which they live, this group partners with other kid's organizations to offer assistance.

I am walking this race with Jo, my trusty walking partner and Karen, from my book club.  But to say that I know Karen only from my book club would be misleading. (oh, intrigue...)

Karen doesn't know this but she holds a place in my heart because she showed up.  Many years ago, she and her daughter were the only ones to show up at an event for my daughter.  (Yes, we picked a busy weekend, yes, it was last minute, yes, it was a great deal to ask of friends and acquaintances on short notice.)  But she showed up.  With her daughter.  And smiles on their faces.  Sometimes showing up with a smile helps more than you know and is the only thing required.

Last year, Karen moved out of suburbia and over to Newport after her youngest child graduated high school.  She is loving the downtown city life, the restaurants, the events and walking everywhere.  I am sorely tempted to moved next door...but then I would be stalking...and that's not the right direction to go.  So my therapist says.

But I digress.  

Okay, so to recap...we have a fabulous day, we are helping little kids, the route takes us through parts of residential Newport and Covington that I haven't seen before, I am walking with two fantastic people, and we get beer afterwards.

It's going to be a great day.    And it was.

The only thing we passed on was the beer afterwards.  Let me explain.  

The walk went well and we were going at a pretty good clip. By the time we crossed the finish line, we had made arrangements with Rocky to meet us for brunch at the French Crust Cafe on Vine Street.  It's her new favorite thing.

And now it's mine as well.  Quiche, buttery croissants, pastries and really good coffee.  Beats a beer in the morning every time.

Dangerously close to half-way, folks   ...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment