Tuesday, November 26, 2013

#12 - Holiday in Lights 5K

My 12th 5K for this challenge was the Holiday in Lights Run/Walk in Sharon Woods last weekend.  The park has a holiday light show and carloads of people meander through the route viewing Christmas lights while listening to Christmas tunes on the radio. A standard holiday activity in my neck of the woods.

For starters, it was cold.  29 degrees.  I wore so many layers, that I feared drinking anything because I would eventually have to use the bathroom and take everything off.  In a Port-O-Let.  Not a pretty picture.

There were some hard-core individuals who insisted on wearing shorts and t-shirt.  They should have been given a special test and sent home.  (I would have done that if I were in charge...but sadly, I am not the boss of them.)  There were families dressed as elves....well, most of the family. There was Mom Elf, Dad Elf and two middle school-aged boy elves.  Then there was teen-text princess who rolled her eyes and stood apart from the group sighing heavily, wanting nothing to do with them. Ah, the holidays....it brings families closer.

I started near the back with the stroller crowd, thinking that participants wearing jeans probably weren't really running.  I was wrong.  It was a good race, partially because it started with limited light.  As the walk progressed and the sun set, it became darker and you couldn't see all the hills.  So that was a bonus.


I want to report that I actually ran some of this 5K.  It was downhill and there was considerable momentum built up, but it counts anyway.  


What have we learned today?  The Holiday in Lights in Sharon Woods Park was much easier in a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment